|You Are Philosophically Artistic|
You're a bit of an introvert, but you're never lonely. You know how to entertain yourself.
You see so much depth in every corner of the world. It's all fascinating to you.
You like esoteric things, and you are attracted to people who are a little outside the mainstream.
Saturday, December 31, 2011
Friday, December 30, 2011
|for my friends Molly and Andy - The Bumbles|
via The Mary Sue
|homemade Christmas card|
via The Mary Sue
|Han vs. Mal|
PS- you can totally buy me this t-shirt.
|How a Lightsaber works|
|Han in Carbonite brownies|
|via The Daily What: note that Obi-Wan's home planet is Stewjon, named after Jon Stewart of The Daily Show|
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
from Kwizgiver, naturally
1. The Christmas song I can listen to even in June is... God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen/We Three Kings medley by Barenaked Ladies
2. Hot Chocolate, Egg Nog or Mulled wine? hot chocolate
3. When do you put your decorations up? Which ones? It's a process. The tree goes up on 12/6.
4. What are you having for Christmas dinner? We had a buffet of lots of things: stuff flank steak, basil carrots, mashed potatoes, turkey, rice, peni, ham and more!
5. What is your favorite Christmas tradition? the light drive
6. Have you ever gone Carol singing? yes, several times. It's such fun!
7. When did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't even remember. I think my parents were content to let me believe as long as I wanted to, and I was content to let them think I believed for as long as I could.
8. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? with a star on top, and ornaments we've collected through the years.
9. What's the best thing about Christmas? Joy!
10. All I want for Christmas is... peace
|Purportedly Harry Houdini's Christmas Card, ca. 1920|
via The MarySue
|via The Daily What|
|A note to Santa from 1911 (100 years ago!) found stuffed in a chimney in Dublin|
via The Daily What
Monday, December 26, 2011
Sunday, December 25, 2011
Saturday, December 24, 2011
Friday, December 23, 2011
|You Are Creative|
You enjoy your alone time, but you also like some quiet company from time to time.
You are good at getting people to let loose. You are the fun one in your group.
You are sometimes unprepared, and you're fine with that. You prefer to remain open and flexible.
Thursday, December 22, 2011
I do believe this one is pretty accurate.
|You Are a Comforting Hug|
You are naturally empathetic. You wouldn't know how to stop relating to people, even if you wanted to.
You are truly caring. You show you care by dropping everything to help.
In relationships, you are a loyal partner - but you also value your space. Absence makes your heart grow fonder.
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
1. Snowflake! snow day!
2. North Pole! cold
3. Elves! red hats
4. Sleigh! Victorian
5. Presents! opening
6. Cookies! baking
7. Mistletoe! holly
8. Rudolph! red nose
9. Blizzard! empty store shelves
10. School’s Canceled! can I have the day off work?
11. Ice Skating! New Years eve
12. Santa’s Lap! little children
13. Black Friday! shopping
14. Melting Snow! icicles
15. Carols! radio
16. Lumps of Coal! stocking
17. Nutcracker! so many different kinds! C used to collect them.
18. Ho Ho Ho! Santa
|via Apartment Therapy|
"Architectonic Menorah by Richard Meier, $1125 at The Jewish Museum Shop. Each limited edition pewter candleholder is an abstracted representation of an architectural style from significant moments of persecution in the history of the Jews."
Monday, December 19, 2011
Sunday Stealing: The Community Meme (as stolen from Kwizgiver)
1. As a blogger, what do you draw inspirations from for your posts? Whatever I find interesting on the 'net.
2. If you could swap blogs with another blogger for a post, who would you switch with and why? Probably Molly of The Bumbles Blog. She puts so much good stuff into her posts, without it being TMI. I'm either too shy or too lazy to let that much out.
3. If your blog had a theme song, what would it be? Why? Oh, it would change every day, with my mood and my subject matter.
4. What is your writing process for a post? I don't have one
5. Your blog requires a cute, new, mascot - what would it be? either a hedgehog or a peacock.
6. Do you feel you express your "true self" on your blog? yes, as far as it goes.
7. What is your biggest online pet-peeve? intolerance
8. If you could live in a fictional universe, where would you live? Why? Probably the Star Wars universe, if I could be among the brave, surviving Rebels.
9. You're having a bad day, you're upset, you're angry, or you're sad - what is your go-to comfort? Snugging under the covers.
10. What is your favorite inspirational quote? "What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals." ~Hamlet, Act II, Scene II
11. If they were to make a movie based on your life, who would play you, your leading lady/man, your best friend, and your rival? Julia Ormond would be me, with David Boreanaz as my leading man, my best friend would be Zooey Deschanel and my rival would be Martha Stewart.
12. Do you think the world is going to end in 2012? no
13. If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be? I would be better about following through.
14. What is your favorite season and why? Autumn. I love the change of season, the leaves and the holidays.
15. You've been bitten by a vampire. Would you fight it with all your undead being or would you embrace it for all it is worth? I would probably fight it.
16. Have you personally met any of your blogger friends? Yes, a few.
17. What does your favorite pair of underwear look like? ...
18. Have you ever drank something right from the container in the refrigerator knowing other people will have to drink out of the same container later? No.
19. What is your favorite word and explain why? Superfluous. Say it out loud. It sounds pretty.
20. 2011 is soon coming to a close, is there anything you'd like to do different on your blog in the year 2012? Maybe add a little more personal stuff. I've tried it before.
Sunday, December 18, 2011
|The Colbert Report||Mon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
|Ray Odierno & Stephen Colbert - "I'll Be Home for Christmas"|
Saturday, December 17, 2011
|You Think Adventure is Sweet|
You don't follow trends, but you still shake up your life a lot. You set your own trends.
You have a sharp and lively intelligence. You are quick-witted and always ready for some verbal battle.
You are wickedly cunning and off the scale confident. You don't second guess yourself.
Friday, December 16, 2011
Thursday, December 15, 2011
|You Are the Full Moon|
You are open to the world, and that's part of what makes you unforgettable. You are free-spirited.
You are a vibrant person who can't help but leave a mark everywhere. You want to create something amazing.
You have a kind spirit, and you bring happiness to everyone you know.
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
|via A Mountain Hearth|
Today is St. Lucia Day, which is mostly celebrated in Scandinavia and around the Italian peninsula. A girl - usually the oldest daughter in the family - dons a white dress, red sash and wreath with lights. She sings and brings cakes to the family.
The tradition is based from the 6th century Italian Saint Lucia (Lucy), who gave her dowry to the Christians, and would sneak food to them, wearing candles in a crown on her head so she could carry the food.
Very few saints are venerated in the Scandinavian countries, but St. Lucia took hold, probably because her day coincided with what was (before the current Gregorian calendar), the shortest day of the year. She represents the return of the light, both as the literal sun and the son of God.
Monday, December 12, 2011
Sunday, December 11, 2011
|You Are Fanciful and Whimsical|
You are a big dreamer, and you tend to get lost in your ideas. You can't help but imagine how things could be.
You tend to get swept up in the holidays. You love almost everything holiday related, and you stay as busy as you can.
You're the type of person who might take on too much this time of year, but you hardly notice if certain projects don't get completed.
Saturday, December 10, 2011
Friday, December 09, 2011
Thursday, December 08, 2011
Wednesday, December 07, 2011
|Your Spiritual Style is Active and Powerful|
You are pioneering and an outside the box thinker. You believe in possibilities.
You believe in fighting for what's right. You get fired up from all the injustices you see.
You are a problem solver. You want to fix everything that's broken in this world.
Tuesday, December 06, 2011
another Kwizgiver special
1. Candy cane or peppermint patties? peppermint patties
2. Sugar or gingerbread cookies? gingerbread cookies
3. Tinsel or beaded strands? beads
4. Multi-colored or same-colored lights? all white
5. Flashing or still lights? I like twinkle lights but not blinking lights
6. Wreaths or mistletoe/holly? holly
7. Rudolph or Frosty? Frosty
8. Sledding or snowball fights? sledding
9. Snow or ice/icicles? snow
10. Snow hat or earmuffs? hat
11. Getting or giving? giving
12. Snow days or plow trucks? snow days!
13. Stockings or presents? both, please
14. Cookies & milk or letter to Santa? cookies and eggnog
15. Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? it's a toss-up
16. Log Burning Channel or real thing? real thing
17. Cards or emails? torn here... I like cards, but they're bad for the environment
18. Shoveling or cleaning off the car? cleaning off the car
19. Hot cocoa or eggnog? hot cocoa
20. Jack Frost or Little Drummer Boy? Jack Frost
For the scientifically-bent, "Heroes of Science" non-denominational ornaments:
Monday, December 05, 2011
|You Are Charming and Unique|
If people want to think you're flakey, that's fine. You're getting more done than they are.
You don't need much in life. You just want to be seen and appreciated for who you are.
You can be a bit too honest at times. And most people find that refreshing.
Saturday, December 03, 2011
Friday, December 02, 2011
|You Are Enlightened|
You believe the world is what you make of it. You take the blame for your failures and the credit for your successes.
You consider yourself to be vulnerable. That's the price you pay for being so sensitive.
You are a very balanced creature. You avoid too much of a good thing.