Make the Apple Head
- Peel and core an apple.
- Dip it into a mixture of 1 c. lemon juice and 1 tbsp. salt.
- Pat the apple dry.
- Use the tip of a potato peeler and hollow out deep eyes.
- Use a paring knife and make slits for a smile or frown. Make a triangle cut between the eyes toward the mouth to form a nose.
- Store the carved apple in a dry spot until it shrinks. To hasten drying, place it in a dehydrator or a 200-degree F oven for 4 to 5 hours and then air dry for 2 days.
Make the Doll
- Screw the bottle lid tightly on a 20-oz. soda bottle.
- Cut a 12-by-15-inch piece of bright fabric.
- Wrap the fabric around the bottle; allow an extra inch at the top and bottom of the bottle.
- Secure the fabric around the top of the bottle with a rubber band.
- Fold the fabric down around the rubber band, and tie a piece of ribbon or lace at the neck to hide the rubber band.
- Cut 10 to 15 strands of yarn for the hair. Add 2 inches to the overall length.
- Gather the strands and fold in half, tying with a small piece of yarn in the middle.
- Braid or frizz out the yarn in whatever hairstyle you want.
- Push the "part" of the hair (about 2 inches of yarn) gently into the top of the dried apple.
- Push the dried, cored apple gently onto the lid of the bottle.