2 Lb fresh spinach, or 1 lb frozen chopped spinach
1/3 c. butter
1 1/4 c. heavy cream
1 1/2-2 c. chicken stock
juice of 1 lemon
salt & freshly ground pepper
finely chopped hard cooked egg for garnish
1. If using fresh spinach, wash leaves in several changes of cold water, nipping off any tough stems and discarding yellowed leaves. Drain well in a colander, pressing out excess moisture, and chop roughly.
2. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan; add spinach, either fresh or still in a frozen block, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until spinach is soft.
3. Puree spinach in an electric blender. Pour back into rinsed-out pan.
4. Stir in cream and dilute to taste with chicken stock, using 1 1/2 cups if you want a very thick, rich soup. 2 cups for a lighter consistency. Heat through over a moderate heat, stirring.
5. Season to taste with a little lemon juice, salt, and freshly ground black pepper, and serve hot, each serving garnished with a sprinkling of chopped hard cooked egg.