Here’s what I want you to do:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating. (I can't do strikeout
4) Optional extra: Post a comment www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.
The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
1. Venison - been wanting to try it
2. Nettle tea - never had it, but wouldn't mind trying it
3. Huevos rancheros - never had them, but I've seen them and they don't look appealing
4. Steak tartare - never had it, willing to try
5. Crocodile - does alligator count? If so, yes. It wasn't bad
6. Black pudding - never had it. It sounds absolutely disgusting, but I might still try it.
7. Cheese fondue - had it, love it
8. Carp - never had it, and would try it, but I'm not a fish person
9. Borscht - had it and am ambivalent about it
10. Baba ghanoush - never had it that I know of, willing to try
11. Calamari - had it and can take it or leave it
12. Pho - never had it. I'd definitely try it, though
13. PB&J sandwich - had it. I prefer peanut butter and honey or plain peanut butter
14. Aloo gobi - never had it, but I'd try it
15. Hot dog from a street cart - the best way to get them
16. Epoisses - never had it, willing to try
17. Black truffle - never had it, but I'd be willing to try
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - I don't know if I've had it or not
20. Pistachio ice cream - had it, liked it, would have it again
22. Fresh wild berries - yes, picked them myself with my little sister in the woods near my grandmother's house
23. Foie gras - no, but I'd try it. I like chicken liver pate, so
24. Rice and beans - had it. I could take it or leave it
27. Dulce de leche - yes, and it's quite nice
28. Oysters - nope. I'm not a fan of shellfish. I might try them eventually.
29. Baklava - had it, love it, would have it again
30. Bagna cauda - never had it, willing to try
31. Wasabi peas - had them, not overly impressed
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - ah, what kind of clam chowder? I prefer Manhattan-style (tomato-based.) I've never had it in a sourdough bowl, but I've had other soups in sourdough bowl and loved them.
33. Salted lassi - doesn't sound very appealing, but I'd try it.
34. Sauerkraut - tried it, didn't like it.
35. Root beer float - I used to love root beer, but lately it's smelled and tasted like wintergreen. Blech.
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - never had it, willing to try
37. Clotted cream tea - never had it, willing to try
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - never had it, willing to try
39. Gumbo - I know I've had this, but I can't remember if I liked it.
40. Oxtail - never had it, willing to try
41. Curried goat - never had it, but I've had curried lamb and loved it. I'd give it a try
42. Whole insects - Not on purpose.
44. Goat’s milk - I don't remember, but I'm assured that I've had it
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - I'd try it
46. Fugu - tough one. I might try it.
47. Chicken tikka masala - I'm pretty sure I've had this.
48. Eel - never had it, willing to try. Not a fish person.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - yes. They're wonderful warm.
50. Sea urchin - never had it, willing to try. Not a fish person.
51. Prickly pear - yes, I think I've had this.
52. Umeboshi - never had it, willing to try
54. Paneer - never had it, willing to try
56. Spaetzle - Had it, liked it, would eat it again
59. Poutine - no, but I've wanted to try this
60. Carob chips - I've had carob-chip cookies. They leave something to be desired. That something is chocolate.
61. S’mores - had 'em, loved 'em, would eat 'em again.
62. Sweetbreads - never had, but I'm willing to try
63. Kaolin - I don't know what this is, and my Google search is bringing up Bentonite Clay. If that's the case, then no.
64. Currywurst - never had it, willing to try
65. Durian - never had it, willing to try
66. Frogs’ legs - never had it, willing to try
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - churros, elephant ears and funnel cakes all. Elephant ears an churros are crispier than I usually like. Funnel cakes are perfection.
68. Haggis - Had it. It wasn't too bad in small doses. I'd have it again.
69. Fried plantain - Tried it. It wasn't my favorite, but it was okay.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - never had them, not excited about trying them
71. Gazpacho - never had it, willing to try
72. Caviar and blini - caviar, yes. I didn't like it. Blini, yes. Loved them. I haven't had the two together.
74. Gjetost, or brunost - A little stronger than I usually like, but okay.
75. Roadkill - not that I know of
76. Baijiu - never had it, willing to try
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - yeah, they're do-able. My favorite is actually the chocolate pudding variety
78. Snail - never had it, willing to try in theory.
79. Lapsang souchong - never had it, willing to try
80. Bellini - never had it, willing to try
81. Tom yum - never had it, willing to try
82. Eggs Benedict - had it, loved it, would eat it again
83. Pocky - never had it, willing to try
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant. - never had it, willing to try!
85. Kobe beef - never had it, willing to try
86. Hare - never had it, willing to try
87. Goulash - had it, love it, would eat it again
88. Flowers - I've had flower petals in a salad, but I don't know what kind they were. I grew marigolds for salad one year and they weren't bad
89. Horse - never had it, willing to try
90. Criollo chocolate - never had it, willing to try
91. Spam - had it, it wasn't bad. I'd eat it again
92. Soft shell crab - a Maryland staple. Had it, wasn't all that thrilled
93. Rose harissa - Never had it, willing to try. Not a fan of spicy foods, though
94. Catfish - had it, didn't like it
95. Mole poblano - had it, didn't like it
96. Bagel and lox - had it, didn't like the lox, loved the bagel
97. Lobster Thermidor - never had it, but would like to try
98. Polenta - had it, liked it, would eat it again
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - never had it, not really a coffee person
100. Snake - never had it, willing to try
So that's 38/100 that I've eaten and only 9/100 that I wouldn't at least try. Looks like I should expand my culinary horizons.